Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Sinner's Plea

By Mark Bishop

I spend most nights alone
writing a poem, thinking about life

Or trying to run away
to find a place to stay that makes more sense than this

More unhappy than most I know
or just more than they let it show

I feel the world's weight crushing
I see the clock hands rushing to douse the flame of life

And it seems a happy ending,
sorrow's mending are merely men pretending, trying to make it right.

I fear that day when I shall stand before the Lord
and give an explanation for every thought and word

I will be left with only Jesus name upon my lips
as pride, idols, and addictions from my soul he strips

I hope it is enough oh Lord to know your name
I pray it is enough to say you died to take my shame

For only your love could justify this life
because I fear I'm wasting it caught up in all this strife

Hope is so often a mystery to me
Help me in my weakness, heed this sinner's plea

No comments:

Post a Comment