Sunday, December 22, 2013

Hybrid Car

By Mark Bishop

Should I pray now?
Should my hands find the steeple
with all God's people
casting forth amens like old pillows.
Weeping willows bowed low and dreary?
Eyes tired but not driven to tears.

Some days this vehicle takes us high above the clouds
into that resplendent throne room where the angel choir crowds
where warm welcomes wash barnacled feet and dark desires flee

Some days it can't quite make the drive
Instead this lifeboat springs a leak and gives us to the sea

Is it not good that wields both blessing and cessation?
Is it not for my own sake I bear this pain?
Perhaps oh Lord I do not want
to be as good a man I claim

Yet discipline unasked and un-kept
Produces as before this lament:
that I did not suffer more truly those trials he gave to me.
instead I sought escape
and I cried out to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment